Eggs get a bad reputation as a fattening food, but when I started tracking my calorie intake, I realized that they were actually a high protein, low calorie option for lunch. Each large scrambled or omelet egg is only 100 calories! Since that epiphany, I started buying these delicious free range local eggs from my food and vegetable delivery service, and began experimenting with different fillings and toppings. A farm fresh egg with a bright yellow yolk is a meal that’s pretty close to perfection, even before you start topping it with something fun.
This week, after playing around with Julia Child’s Omelette Roulee recipe, I gave my eggs a Southwestern twist thanks to a recipe from Sargento.com. As part of the Sargento Thin Sliced cheese campaign (for which I am receiving compensation to write two posts), I received coupons to sample the thin sliced cheeses in various flavors and have been playing around with the many recipes on the Sargento website. Cheese is a surprisingly high calorie food, so finding ways to still enjoy the taste while limiting the calories with thinner slicing is a big win
If you’d like to try the new Sargento thin sliced cheese for yourself, leave a comment on this post. I’ll select one comment at random to win three coupons for free packages of Ultra Thin Sargento Cheese.
To enter to win, please leave me a comment with your favorite cheese to snack on. I’ll select the winner at random in a week on 6/1.
And there’s many ways to earn additional chances to win, just make sure to return here to leave comments for each additional entry. You can:
- Follow @Frenchfoodiemom on Twitter
- Tweet about this contest.
- Like the Chefdruck Musings Facebook Fan Page
- Post about this contest on your Facebook page.
- Post about this contest on your blog.
- Subscribe to the Chefdruck Musings RSS Feed.
- ¾ cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- 4 Tbsp. chunky salsa, divided
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 eggs
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- ⅛ tsp. each: salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil or butter
- 4 slices Sargento® Ultra Thin Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese
- Combine beans, 3 Tbsp. salsa and cilantro; mix well. Beat eggs with green onion, salt and pepper. Combine avocado and remaining 1 Tbsp. salsa.
- Heat oil or melt butter in a large nonstick skillet with sloped sides over medium heat until hot. Add egg mixture; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until bottom is set. Arrange cheese over egg mixture; top with bean mixture. Use 2 spatulas to fold egg mixture in half over filling. Cook over low heat 3 minutes or until center is set. Cut omelet in half; transfer to serving plates and top with avocado mixture.