As committed as my husband and I are to escaping our houseful of children for date night, there are times when the effort seems too much, especially on Friday nights. The temptation to curl back up on the couch, covered with kids, is overwhelming. Those are the nights that begin with a quick espresso in a swanky cup, to give us a little boost of energy to get us out the door, to breathe a little and remember what it was like when it was just the two of us. The truly special date nights begin with an espresso cocktail.
Before my year of Nespresso immersion, my idea of a coffee cocktail was limited to a Kahlua laced coffee, but a Nespresso happy hour at the Mondrian Hotel in Soho opened my eyes to a world of fun cocktails.
The easiest to whip up without planning ahead is a Nespresso Chocolate Martini. All you need in your shaker is a shot of your favorite intense espresso capsule (I prefer Arpeggio), some vanilla vodka, 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder, and an ounce of milk. Shake it with crushed ice vigorously. Pour it into pretty glasses, and you’ll start your night with a smooth and fun martini that’s like a chocolatey kiss.
Coffee Mint Mojitos: Start with a shot of single origin Rosabaya from Columbia. Brew it on top of crushed mint leaves. Add rum, sugar, and a dash of Kahlua. Shake with crushed ice and pour in snazzy glass with a fresh mint leaf on top.
The Nespresso recipe site is filled with more fun cocktail ideas, from Caipirinha Coffee to futuristic and wild Apple Shot Coffee, tiny little caviar like balls of espresso, served on a little spoon along with a shot. All the recipes for this post were modified from the Nespresso site and the pictures were taken from the site as well. I hope these cocktails inspire you to infuse your night life with a little coffee!
- 1 shot of your favorite intense espresso capsule (I prefer Arpeggio)
- 2 ounces of vanilla vodka
- 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- 1 ounce of milk
- ½ cup of crushed ice
- Brew a shot of your favorite intense espresso capsule (I prefer Arpeggio) into a cocktail shaker.
- Add the vanilla vodka, cocoa powder, crushed ice and milk. Shake it vigorously.
- Pour it into pretty glasses, and you'll start your night with a smooth and fun martini that's like a chocolatey kiss.
- 1 capsule of single origin Rosabaya from Columbia.
- ½ cup of crushed mint leaves
- ½ cup of crushed ice
- 2 ounces of rum
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 ounce of Kahlua
- Crush mint leaves along with the sugar. Place at the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
- Brew a shot of single origin Rosabaya from Columbia and pour it carefully into the shaker.
- Add crushed ice.
- Add rum, sugar, and a dash of Kahlua.
- Shake vigorously and pour in snazzy glass with a fresh mint leaf on top.