Leftover rice is pure gold. Nice and stale after a few days in the fridge, a bowl of leftover rice is the key to throwing together an amazing bowl of fried rice. Having leftover coconut fried rice just takes things up to an even more delicious level. Sweet and salty coconut fried rice is as good as it gets.
Fried rice has become my secret weapon in the toddler food wars. Sophie is just too busy to eat nowadays, and it really takes something good to get her to sit down and put some food in her mouth. Fried rice, packed with egg, veggies and ham gets her attention and keeps her in her seat until her bowl is licked clean. Sometimes I even throw in some raisins to really get her excited.
Making coconut rice is just as easy as making regular rice. You simply substitute unsweetened coconut milk for half of the liquid. For one cup of rice, cook with one cup of coconut milk and one cup of water. That will yield about two cups of rice. Just increase the proportions if you’d like more rice. One can of coconut milk is approximately two cups. If you’re a true coconut lover (like me!) you can throw in some dried coconut to boost the flavor.
- 2 Cups of Basmati Rice
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk (roughly 2 cups)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 packed cup of leftover coconut rice
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of ham, cut or ripped into tiny pieces
- ½ cup mixed frozen vegetables (we like the Trader Joe's Soycuttash with edamame, carrots, corn and peas)
- ¼ cups of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- In a rice cooker or a pot, add the rice, coconut milk and water.
- Set the rice cooker to cook. If cooking in a pot, bring to a boil and cover. Turn the heat down low and cook covered for 20 minutes, until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Measure a cup of leftover coconut rice. Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk until blended with a fork.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil on high heat. Add the rice and break up all clumps.
- Pour the egg all over the rice and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until you can see that the egg is cooked. You'll see small strings of omelette and the rice will be yellow in parts.
- Now add the soy sauce, ham and vegetables. Stir fry for another 3 minutes, until the frozen veggies are cooked through. Serve hot.