Afternoons in our house are quiet, blissfully so. While Baby Sophie naps, I have the house to myself and a few hours to get work done. But when 2:30 rolls around, I start to prepare for the 3:30 onslaught, when the hungry kids storm through the door. Our two favorite snacks are warm chocolate chip cookies and Nutella toast. Combining them into Nutella Lava Cookies was a huge hit today for the kids when they came in from playing in the snow.
You could call these Nutella Lava Cookies mini cakes. They’re made in mini muffin tins or mini brownie pans to get their height and shape. The Nutella is buried between two layers of cookie dough, a warm molten center that makes your favorite cookie dough even better.
The lava cookies were unbelievable warm with a cold glass of milk, but they’re also pretty amazing when they cool down. The Nutella center doesn’t ooze out, but it’s still a great surprise for the kids and grown ups who share my Nutella addiction.
Whether you try these Nutella Lava Cookies for the kids afterschool snack, or serve them topped with ice cream at your next dinner party, their molten center will make everyone deliriously happy.
- 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups of brown sugar
- 3/4 cups of granulated sugar
- 2 sticks of SALTED butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- 3/4 cups of Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream together the butter and sugars. Add the eggs and the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking soda. Fold into the creamed butter and sugar and mix until just combined.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Using a spatula, blend in the chocolate chips.
- Take a mini muffin pan or a mini brownie pan. Spray generously with non-stick baking spray. Put two tablespoons of dough in the bottom of each muffin hole. Push a well in each dough lump with your thumb. Drop in a generous dollop of Nutella . Cover with another 2 tablespoons of dough that you've flattened with your thumb.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are brown.