Overnight, my little boy turned into one of those smelly, perpetual motion creatures with a bottomless appetite. I pick him up from the playground, sweaty from heated games of kickball, and his stomach is rumbling. Back in the kitchen, he eats and eats, but cookies and fruit just don’t do the trick. It takes a serious snack filled with protein to have him stop complaining of hunger. My boy needs meat to refuel him for basketball practice and homework.
If I just handed him a sandwich, he’d probably turn up his nose at it and reach for more cookies to fill the bottomless pit that is his stomach. Snacks should be fun, and letting him bring his creativity in making a messy meat snack makes it appealing.
Oscar Meyer recently launched a new line of Carving Board Pulled Pork that’s perfect for snacking. When I don’t have dinner leftovers on hand, I reach for these convenient containers and let Jack go to town crafting a pork in a bag snack. I even let him throw some tortilla chips in, as long as it’s balanced with a fruit or vegetable.
His pork by fork snack bag creation the other day included pulled pork, sweet potato, tortilla chips, and tiny chunks of green apple. He plunged his fork into the snack bag with gusto, and didn’t whine to me about hunger for two hours, until dinner time. Pure bliss.
Do you have a bottomless pit in your house too? Could you use a year of pork to keep the hunger whining at bay? Oscar Mayer is awarding one Chefdruck Musings reader with a year’s supply of pulled pork. That’s a lot of snacks!
PORK BY FORK GIVEAWAY DETAILS:
To enter to win the Pork by Fork Giveaway, please leave me a comment telling me about what ingredients you or your child would add to pulled pork to make a unique snack. Include a picture for bonus entries! I’ll select the winner at random in two weeks on 12/20.
And there’s many ways to earn additional chances to win, just make sure to return here to leave comments for each additional entry. You can:
- Follow @Frenchfoodiemom on Twitter
- Tweet about this contest.
- Like the Chefdruck Musings Facebook Fan Page
- Post about this contest on your Facebook page.
- Post about this contest on your blog.
- Subscribe to the Chefdruck Musings RSS Feed.
- Tweet about this contest with the hashtag #PorkbyFork . The first 900 tweets with that hashtag every day between 12/6-12/9 will get a $2 off coupon. Not quite as good as a year of pork, but enough to get your appetite wetted as you wait to find out if you’re the big year of pork winner.