>What Are Your Weight Loss Secrets?

Is losing weight part of your 2011 resolutions?

I’ll be attending a special event this Tuesday in Chicago to inspire women to focus on what they’ll gain by losing weight, instead of focusing on the numbers on the scale. The event is part of the Special K Challenge Campaign which has been promoted nationwide since the new year. I’ll be attending as a compensated interviewer and recorder, reporting back on the experience to Kellogg’s, their PR firm Ketchum, and my readers.

I hope you’ll join me this Tuesday.
Where:
Union Station
251 North Clinton Street
Chicago, IL 60606

When:
Tuesday, January 11, 2010
Time: 3-6 p.m. CST

I’m not a dieter. I don’t like gimmicky strategies that are not sustainable in the long run. When my jeans get tight, I cut out desserts and turn to satisfying vegetable soups to get comfortable again. And I do some crunches and plank exercises after running. I believe in making every bite count, eating the best ingredients in moderation, and when I’m trying to lose weight, I moderate more. But everyone has to address their weight loss challenge in the structure that works for them. The Special K Challenge consists of replacing 2 meals a day with Special K Products and having 2 Special K snacks as well for 2 weeks. I know that type of structure will appeal to many women. It’s been commended as a viable short term calorie reduction strategy by diet experts.

The reason I’m really excited about Tuesday’s event is the positive, inspirational message of the campaign, almost like we’ll be building a communal vision board to make our weight loss goals achievable. As women we fall so easily into negative, competitive relationships. I’m thrilled to be taking part in a group gathering to support each other. In addition to all the support, there will be coupon books, cereals, snacks, and t-shirts while supplies last.

So let’s talk diets. What works for you when your jeans get too tight for comfort? What weight loss strategies work for you?

7 Responses to >What Are Your Weight Loss Secrets?

1. Sassy Mom in the City says:

>I agree with you. Not into weight loss gimmicks. At the end of the day the only thing that works is exercise and portion control. I'm also not a fan of trying to lose weight with processed food. When it's time to get serious I just follow the "God" diet. If God didn't make it, I don't eat it. LOL!

2. Melanie says:

>Weight Watchers, exercise, and a fanatical focus on unprocessed foods. In other words, no way, no how would I go on a crash diet, replacing 60% of my meals with processed crapola!

3. Melanie says:

>Here is a really fantastic breakdown of why, precisely, this Special K diet is super bad news (it's basically a starvation diet): http://jezebel.com/5729628/the-problem-with-the-special-k-challenge

4. ChefDruck says:

>Melanie,
    Thanks for sharing the link. I like the supportive community based idea behind the event, the concept of bringing women together to inspire each other to meet their goals. I also would not turn to processed foods to diet. As I said in the post, I turn to homemade vegetable soups to make my pants feel more comfortable.

Great discussion.

Vanessa

5. Garima says:

>Hi Vanessa,

For me, weight is always on the mind. And bneing Vegetarian, I try to make healthier options and reduce carbs. Excercise sadly comes in spurts, right now, I am happily going to the gym every other day> Hoping the drive continues.
    I plan on being at Union Station this afternoon. Will see you there.
    Garima

6. weightloss says:

People don’t truly understand the risks of being overweight. Why do most want to lose weight? Most would say to look better. Looking better certainly is a benefit of losing weight, but this shouldn’t be the sole reason to lose weight. There is a 1000 pound gorilla in the room and it’s often ignored. Being overweight for a long period of time kills thousands of people each year.

7. [...] squeezed my postpartum body into a bathing suit in public last weekend, I am back on my soup diet with a vengeance. Say what you will about breastfeeding, but it’s not melting the pounds off [...]