>(Relatively) Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets

These Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets Will Be a Hit with the Kids

Tonight I’m going to give you a gift: a baked chicken nugget recipe that you can whip up in less than 5 minutes. And it’s good. Let me tell you how good. So good that my kids ate them with a babysitter tonight and when I came home, Bella came to thank me for making “such delicious chicken.” Let me tell you, that’s not something that happens every day. I actually don’t think it’s ever happened before. Of course when I teared up, she told me I was being embarrassing… again.

The reason I qualify them as “relatively” healthy homemade chicken nuggets is that they could be healthier. These little chicken bites would certainly be better for you if they weren’t breaded, or if they were steamed or poached, but then they wouldn’t be chicken nuggets. They would be bland, plain chicken, and your kids would not be thanking you for making such a delicious dinner. So I’m sticking with the healthy label, and making baked chicken nuggets at home is certainly a lot healthier than ordering chicken nuggets from the McDonald’s drive-thru window.

So go ahead, try this recipe. But don’t be surprised if your kids throw you a parade.

Baked Chicken Nuggets
Prep Time: 5 minutes (or possibly less!)
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch wide strips, tendons and yucky bits cut off
15 butter crackers, like Ritz or Townhouse
1/3 cups of grated parmesan
2 eggs

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Place the crackers in a small ziplock bag. Seal it and crush them to coarse crumbs. Go ahead, have fun with it, let out the stress of the day. Pour the crumbs into a small bowl. Add the parmesan and toss to mix.
  3. In a separate small bow, crack and mix the eggs well, to omelette consistency.
  4. Dip a chicken piece in the egg and then roll it around in the parmesan crumbs until crumbs cover all sides of the chicken. You won’t be able to cover it completely. That’s okay. It’s meant to look homemade. Then place the coated chicken in a Pyrex or other baking pan. Repeat with the rest of the pieces.
  5. Cook the chicken for 45 minutes.
  6. Serve with whatever sauces you please. I chose apple jelly in the picture above, but if you want to dip them in McDonald’s BBQ sauce, I won’t tell anyone.

12 Responses to >(Relatively) Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets

1. Lisa says:

>Much better than McDonalds! They look yummy!

2. Rashmi says:

>They look yummy. Have to try it at home.

3. Becky Black says:

Just reading this I know my kiddos will LOVE it. I mean, what doesn’t taste better with parmesan?

• chefdruck says:

Becky, I go through so much Parmesan every month because it just adds so much flavor! I even use the rind to flavor soups. And anything that gets my kids to eat homemade food is a win-win for me. They still prefer McDonald’s nuggets but you can’t win them all! Vanessa

4. Pistal says:

Have u frozen these before?

5. Jen says:

I made these tonight for dinner, and they were a hit with my husband and all five kids. Chicken tenders were on sale, so I used those instead of cutting up the breast. They had a great crunch and stayed moist inside. I will be making these and adding them to our freezer stash. Thanks so much!

• chefdruck says:

So glad these nuggets are going to be added to your rotation! Thanks for the comment and hoping to post more easy family back to school recipes soon, once I settle in to life with a newborn. :)

6. [...] until you’re so bored you could just spit? I do. My family gets more than their share of Parmesan Breaded Chicken Bites and Pork Roast with Apples. But every once in a while, I stumble upon a new recipe that’s not [...]

7. MrsD05 says:

These are VERY similar to my homemade chicken nuggets. They are so yummy! I like mine extra crispy so I put a cooling rack on top of a sheet pan and put the nuggets on that. You might want to lightly spray the cooling rack. It makes them so crunchy!

And I agree, everything is better with Parmesan cheese. :-)

8. Steph Mario says:

I’m definitely loving the looks of that, I’ll try to prepare something like that over the weekend. Thanks for the idea and the recipe.