|These Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets Will Be a Hit with the Kids|
Tonight I’m going to give you a gift: a baked chicken nugget recipe that you can whip up in less than 5 minutes. And it’s good. Let me tell you how good. So good that my kids ate them with a babysitter tonight and when I came home, Bella came to thank me for making “such delicious chicken.” Let me tell you, that’s not something that happens every day. I actually don’t think it’s ever happened before. Of course when I teared up, she told me I was being embarrassing… again.
The reason I qualify them as “relatively” healthy homemade chicken nuggets is that they could be healthier. These little chicken bites would certainly be better for you if they weren’t breaded, or if they were steamed or poached, but then they wouldn’t be chicken nuggets. They would be bland, plain chicken, and your kids would not be thanking you for making such a delicious dinner. So I’m sticking with the healthy label, and making baked chicken nuggets at home is certainly a lot healthier than ordering chicken nuggets from the McDonald’s drive-thru window.
So go ahead, try this recipe. But don’t be surprised if your kids throw you a parade.
Baked Chicken Nuggets
Prep Time: 5 minutes (or possibly less!)
Cook Time: 45 minutes
2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch wide strips, tendons and yucky bits cut off
15 butter crackers, like Ritz or Townhouse
1/3 cups of grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the crackers in a small ziplock bag. Seal it and crush them to coarse crumbs. Go ahead, have fun with it, let out the stress of the day. Pour the crumbs into a small bowl. Add the parmesan and toss to mix.
- In a separate small bow, crack and mix the eggs well, to omelette consistency.
- Dip a chicken piece in the egg and then roll it around in the parmesan crumbs until crumbs cover all sides of the chicken. You won’t be able to cover it completely. That’s okay. It’s meant to look homemade. Then place the coated chicken in a Pyrex or other baking pan. Repeat with the rest of the pieces.
- Cook the chicken for 45 minutes.
- Serve with whatever sauces you please. I chose apple jelly in the picture above, but if you want to dip them in McDonald’s BBQ sauce, I won’t tell anyone.