When I’m stressed, I bake. As warm smells waft through the house, I start to breathe again. It’s not even about the end result, the sweet bite of dessert on my tongue, the simple act of baking soothes me.
With all these gorgeous summer berries around, the perfect comfort food dessert is a clafouti, the French equivalent of the American crumble. Imagine a warm, very fluffy, sweet crepe surrounding hot berries. Each bite is simple, deep satisfaction.
Just like a crumble, you can have a clafouti in the oven in under five minutes. All you need are ripe berries (or pears, apricots, plums), flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and, the magic ingredient: heavy cream. Whisk the base ingredients together, throw it in the oven for half an hour, and this homey summer dessert is ready.
Top it with a little vanilla ice cream, and you’re in heaven.
2 cups of summer fruit such as blueberries, raspberries, pitted cherries, plums, or quartered pears
3/4 cups of flour
3/4 cups of sugar
8 ounces of heavy cream
3 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter and flour a baking dish.
- Fill the bottom of the baking dish with the fruit. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, slowly whisk together the flour, eggs, cream, and vanilla until just blended.
- Pour on top of the fruit. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or golden brown.
- Serve immediately, either plain or with ice cream.