I get a strange thrill out of butchering meat. I don’t know if it’s the sensation of entering a man’s domain, normally inhabited by burly males with blood spattered aprons, or if it’s the sensual excitement of working with raw meat. All I know is that I derive great satisfaction from taking a knife to a daunting piece of meat, and turning it into something appetizing.
- In a large plastic ziplock bag, place the butterflied bird.
- In a separate bowl, squeeze the juices of 3 lemons. Add olive oil, and 1/4 cup of chopped fresh rosemary. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into the ziplock bag. Seal. Massage the bird through the plastic to thoroughly coat it with the lemon mixture. Store in the fridge overnight to marinade.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place bird in a large Turkey pan. Cover with a couple of heavy pans, or a pizza stone and heavy pan.
- Cook for 40 minutes covered. Then remove the weights and cook for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, until the juices run clear when pricked with a fork.
- Serve plain, or deglaze the pan with a little wine and water.