For this week’s Tasty Tuesday, I’m featuring a recipe from Gina Von Esmarch’s new cookbook, Taste This! There are two types of cookbooks: those with easy recipes destined to go into your weekly line up and those with recipes you need an entire day to achieve. There’s a time and a place for both. The times I’ve struggled through Le Bernardin Cookbook
recipes have all been well worth the effort, but it’s not something I can do on a weeknight.
Taste This is definitely in the former camp, full of delicious recipes you can whip off easily with screaming kids pulling at your leg. In fact, some of the recipes in Taste This!, like the apricot chicken and the roasted asparagus, are very similar to some of our regular weeknight dishes. Many of the recipes have handy shortcuts like using pre-cooked chickens to prepare the chicken tacos, chicken curry, and the chicken tinga. The photographs are incredibly gorgeous, making me realize how much work I have to do to get my Tasty Tuesday shots up to par!
I had a tough time choosing which recipe to feature today, and I ended up choosing the Italian Picnic Chicken. I had never tried breading chicken breasts with corn flakes and I was eager to try it. The chicken was a huge hit, not only with Steve, but also with the kids. It was juicy and crunchy. I’m making another batch tomorrow night. I served it with some sauteed broccolini.
Italian Picnic Chicken (from Taste This!)
1 1/2 cups of corn flakes (I pulverized them in a food processor)
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
CHEFDRUCK ADDITION: 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1 cup of bottled Italian dressing (I used Newman’s own, Gina recommends Wishbone)
6 chicken breasts
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
2) In bowl, mix together corn flake crumbs, garlic salt, Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper (CHEFDRUCK version: add parmesan here too).
3) Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towel, set aside on plate.
4) Pour salad dressing into another bowl.
5) Take chicken and dip both sides in salad dressing; then press into corn flake mixture. Coat both sides.
6) Place chicken in 9×13 baking pan and drizzle salad dressing on top. Bake 45-55 minutes, until golden brown and juices run clear when poked with a fork. (this took a little longer than an hour for me).
Jersey Bites is giving away two copies of Taste This! Enter by 3/11 to win.